Friday, March 15, 2013

The Day I Reached My "Aha Moment".....

Oprah Winfrey has been one of my longtime idols, and her signature phrase "aha moment" has made such a footprint into our social consciousness. What defines an "aha moment" is to define it as a moment of sudden realization, inspiration, insight, recognition, or comprehension

February 19, 2013 was the day that I had reached my "aha moment".

In the weeks and day prior to February 19th, I was playing the waiting game. Waiting for the phone call that I knew would change the direction of my life and health forever. Waiting patiently for the insurance company to either authorize or deny to cover my surgery. I had went through all of the requirements: the labwork, the nutrition class, the psychological evaluation, and the letter from my primary care physician to verify that I was morbidly obese went through. From January 28th and onward, I was playing the waiting game. So I did, and I moved on with my life as normal. Plus, my 30th Birthday was coming up! Though, I initially did not make any big plans for my birthday this year. The one thing that I wanted for my birthday the most already came to light.  What I wanted the most for my birthday this year was to see my brothers and best friends Within Reason win the Grammy Live contest for this year. I didn't care about a dinner, cake, or party. THIS was what I wanted. January 29th, I got the confirmation that my birthday wish was coming true, and I couldn't be any more happier for the guys! I was at work when I got the news, and I literally was screaming all over the workplace in excitement! I wanted them to have this moment just as badly as THEY did! So preparing for the Grammy Live celebration, going to shows on the weekend, and working during the week kept me distracted from thinking about the wait from the insurance company.

Taken during my birthday weekend!
My 30th Birthday came around on February 17, and it truly felt like a brand new chapter of my life. For some reason, I had this feeling within me that for the first time in my life, I truly feel like I am coming into my own. I feel so good about myself as a woman and CONFIDENT and HAPPY with my life and my decisions. I came a long way, and there were moments that I didn't think I would ever reach this age! I was truly overwhelmed that weekend from the mass amounts of phone calls, text messages, Facebook posts FULL of birthday wishes. My eyes welled up with tears quite a few times that day, and I was genuinely grateful and thankful for all of the kinds words and wishes. To me, life was GOOD. Little did I know that it was about to get better.

February 19th.  I was not feeling my best on that day by any means. All of the fun times from my birthday weekend was catching up with me, and my osteoarthritis was flaring up like crazy! I was feeling like CRUD! So I was sitting on my recliner, and I looked through my phone. My phone sometimes doesn't download any voice messages into the system in time. So in some instances, I would get them a day or two late. So I noticed I had a voice message from the 18th that I didn't know about. It was from Dr. Turton's office. Immediately, I was lit up like a kid on Christmas Day! The words I waited for weeks to hear.... The news that I wanted... That life changing phone call had arrived. Soon after, I called the nurse back. You couldn't deny the excitement in my voice! She went over the details with me, and we set a date for the surgery. I went with March 18th. Which is exactly ONE month and ONE day after my 30th birthday. The number one in numerology is a symbol for new beginnings, a journey of change, independence, and becoming who you really are. It FELT right. God was all in that! As soon as I hung up the phone with the nurse, I was in tears. Just shouting and thanking God for this blessing. I had reached my "aha moment."

IT WAS REALLY GOING TO HAPPEN!

Everything about my life was going to change for good and for the BETTER. When my parents came home, I couldn't wait to tell them the news! They were just as happy as I was! I then proceed to text and Facebook message all of my closest friends, family, and second family. I wanted them to know first. I had decided for myself that I would eventually let EVERYONE know. For me personally, I want to be as open and candid as possible with EVERYONE. I didn't have that fear of worrying of what others would say or any negative feedback. None of that mattered to me. I was doing this for ME. So I updated my Facebook status letting everyone know what was going on, and I don't think I was ever ready for the mass pouring of love, support, and kind words from so many of my friends and family. I was in tears. It was truly overwhelming. What really stuck with me is the words a friend of mine who had the surgery a few months ago said to me. She told me, "Your new life doesn't begin on the day of your surgery. Your new life begins NOW." Words have never been truer than that. My new life was beginning right then on that day. I felt like it was a new birthday for me.

It was truly a divine destiny for everything to happen as they did, and it would inspire me and lead me to start this blog. It was time for me to make the most of what would be a full transformation. Not just physical, but a mental, emotional, AND spiritual transformation. It was truly been all of that and more. The journey has not ended... it's about to get SURREAL. The closer it gets to March 18th, the more surreal it gets for me. That woman that I see in the mirror now is not going to look like that in three months, or six months, or even a year. I am excited, anxious, and a good energy of nervous all at the same time!

The best is truly yet to come for me, and I am literally walking into my destiny.....

Walking into my destiny.... and there is no turning back!




No comments:

Post a Comment